Saturday, October 22, 2005

Fall, fall, fall...


Hi, this ran in Sunday's paper. There is a section called 'gallery' where each week a photographer has a photo that covers half the back page of the region section. we get to write kind of whatever we want to go with the photo.

Here is what I wrote:

So far this year’s fall colors have been mediocre at best. Fall always has been my favorite season though, not only for long hikes, scarves and hot apple cider, but for capturing that perfect shade of orange or yellow framed by that bluer-than-blue autumn sky. Earlier this week, I was driving down North Main Street in Stonington on my way to an assignment. There is that amazing twiggy tree forest on the east side of the road just after you have turned off Pequot Trail. It has always fascinated me how all the leaves are at the top with the sea of bare trunks below. My eye was drawn to this little sprig shining in a ray of sunlight, so much brighter than the rest of the forest and at eye-level. I had to stop. While the overall leaf-peeping this year may fall short of New England’s norm, simple sights like this still take my breath away.

3 comments:

Ann said...

I LOVE fall colors. There were some changing leaves in Napa this weekend. And even some of the grape vines were changing. Beautiful!

kate said...

thanks! they have really picked up this week now that we have had some rain.
off to go hiking!
k.

Erica Kern O'Neill said...

That is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Sorry I missed your call. I just got back from 10 days in chicago.

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Email Newsletter
For Email Marketing you can trust